Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Hey...you! (Part 2)

The meet-the-family weekend has been and gone. It went pretty well, I guess, as these things go. All very friendly. There were a few awkward moments, as expected, but nothing major. D’s Mum, Dad and brother (+ his wife and 3-year-old kid) were there, as well as D’s best friend from her hometown in Mindanao. Her family speaks decent English but I think they were a little self-conscious talking to a native English speaker. They live in small towns in rural provinces and either don’t use English much at all or only with other Filipinos.

D's family was very friendly to me. No questions about my intentions for their daughter (I think D had warned them not to ask) and I think they thought I was a decent person (despite knowing I’m a godless heathen).

However, all that may have been undone last night when D revealed over the phone that we’re living in sin (for almost 3 years now). D thinks they already suspected, but her mum came right out and asked last night. Something along the lines of:

“One last question…are you and SW living together?”
“Yes mum.”
“Are you living as man and wife?”
“Yes mum.”
“Are you living in the same house?”
“Yes mum.”


I guess she wanted to be completely sure. Or thought that if she asked the question differently it might illicit a “no”. Bear in mind that D’s folks had a traditional, conservative, Filipino Catholic upbringing. It didn’t seem to provoke too bad a reaction, though there was quite an intense conversation afterwards. I’m not sure yet what her Dad’s reaction is.

And, in case anyone was wondering, I did manage to get through the entire weekend without once referring to D’s mum and dad by name or title. That alone constitutes success.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want kids, but sometimes think of opting out just so that I'm not one day a parent that annoys my child and his/her partner with passe preferences for their lives.

3:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SW you may have revealed half your secret identity in that post.

Melbourne D

7:31 am  
Blogger secret wombat said...

EEEEEK! Thanks Melbourne D. Fixed now...but is the genie out of the proverbial? Superman and I have a LOT in common.

1:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 years, living in sin, met the parents and survived. there can only be one more step SW... betrothal.

1:09 pm  
Blogger secret wombat said...

Anon at 1.09pm: what is this "betrothal" of which you speaketh?* The wombat is a wild and ferocious beast, unable to be tamed.**


*gratuious and pretentious use of ye olde English.
**not true.

2:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now it looks like your mother in-law calls you Secret Wombat.

Now That would be weird.

Melbourne D

9:19 am  
Blogger secret wombat said...

Melb D: either SW or "EVIL MAN WHO HAS CORRUPTED MY DAIGHTER".

9:25 am  
Blogger secret wombat said...

or DAUGHTER, at least. D's mum can spell.

9:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home