Thursday, October 26, 2006

twitching

Thanks to the magnanimous Lone Gopher, D and SW twitched at lunchtime today. For my first outing, I opted for the genteel lunch hour, rather than the outright hostile dawn hour. I promised that I'd make it for a dawn run soon though (more birds, more species). Not good at dawn stuff, mind you. But I thoroughly enjoyed my first Philippine twitch and BECAUSE I KNOW YOU WANT TO KNOW, here's the list of sightings (also thanks to LG):

Outing #1 – Mt Makiling lower slopes (near UP forestry), 26 Oct 2006

  • Scale-feathered Malkoha – Medium/Large black bird with crazy, mostly white head.
  • Red-crested Malkoha – Medium/Large black bird with red Mohawk crest and green beak.
  • Coppersmith Barbet – Small bird with red and yellow face and mostly green body. Sounds like a coppersmith (tok-tok-tok-tok etc)
  • Bar-bellied Cuckoo-shrike – Medium sized grey/black bird with bars on belly. Noisy.
  • Philippine Bulbul – Medium sized. Orange throat, brown back, and light brown belly. Makes irritating sounds resembling cats or annoyed babies.
  • Balicassiao – Drongo. Black medium sized with “fishtail”.
  • Grey-streaked Flycatcher – Small brown bird with streaked throat and chest.
  • Brown Shrike – Small/Medium bird on broken branch. Grey or brown head (different races) dirt white chest, brown back and black “bandit-mask”. On telephone wires everywhere.
Eventually I hope to be as respected a twitching authority as this man.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IS SW interested in a holiday to PNG for twitching and other animal sighting? A & P want to go since their trip to Borneo. Apparantly PNG is THE place in the world for birding.

Ash

7:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm super impressed that you spotted so many in your first twitching experience...and knew the names (or could look them up successfully). photos are the next step. PB

11:19 am  
Blogger secret wombat said...

I only knbew the names because Lone Gopher was there to tell me what they were, then write them in an email and send them to me...

1:09 pm  
Blogger Lone Gopher said...

I thought I threw that photo years ago. Where did you find it?

11:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home