Thursday, March 23, 2006

not going to heaven

Interesting conversation last night at the bar adjacent to the bar with the overbearing waiter (we needed a break from the attention). Was chatting to a friend from work, P, and she brought up – I can’t remember why – the subject of christening and baptising. I mentioned that many people back in Oz are not very religious and don’t get baptized or christened, and that I hadn’t been. I can’t remember the exact lead-up to the next part of the conversation, but it went like this:

P: But you believe in God, don’t you?

Me: No.

I should point out here that I tend to avoid mentioning my (un)religious status here unless it’s very much in context/relevant to any given discussion. Atheism in the Philippines can often be misconstrued as semi-evil and even, D tells me, as satanist.

Anyway – P expressed disbelief and then what seemed a genuine, deep sadness. At one point I thought her eyes were tearing up. We had a good chat about our two views. I gave my spiel on how it’s not a passionless, cold way to think etc, and that I get a genuine sense of awe at the unlikeliness, the random improbability of existence when seen from my viewpoint of life/existence having no intrinsic purpose/point. I’m not sure that P was the slightest bit convinced of my position. She didn’t think I was evil, at least (though she did said I should get baptized when I’m old or I won’t go to heaven).

It was very interesting and I was impressed by her depth of feeling about my tragic choice. Plus, it goes without saying that it's much better that someone is simply sad, rather than violent, when they don't understand another's religious views.

Can't think of any attempted wit to finish on, damn it. Good day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With a significant education in biology, you, like me, might explain yourself as seeing god embodied in nature itself. ie , I acknowledge a bewildering force but do not believe in a ruling/creating god, or ghosts for that matter.

I tend to find that I look upon humans, but mostly other animals and plants, as incredible beings on a daily basis.

On this 'daily' point, it is difficult to deeply wonder about the bizarre existance we have when each of us have to focus on living it.

Ash

6:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In this country, even a simple application form for a frequent shopper reward card asks for your religion. As to what they will do with the information no one knows. Maybe if you are an R.C. (Roman Catholic to you) you get .001 points more. Who knows.

5:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was a damn pretty line to finish your story with thank you very much and a good day to you too!

Question for anonymous: Do you reckon I get more frequent flyer miles if I check all the different religions on the registration form?

1:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Jeffrey,

They will most likely reject the application.you get more credit by having only one esp catholicism.

Remember, my son, the most important points are those from the heaven above so give up materialism and share your blessings.

3:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home