Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The great bruschetta-off

The food here is everything I'd hoped. If, in my bumbling-foreigner way, I'm choosing the poorer ristorante, trattoria and pizzeria, I can scarcely imagine what the good ones dish out.

Last night, I had good ol' tomato-and-basil bruschetta before a bloody divine spinach-and-ricotta ravioli in a sauce of sweet cherry tomatoes, zucchini and (I think) eggplant. The buschetta tasted rather similar to the one I make at home, which pleased and disappointed me simultaneously. Presumably this means I make a passable tomato-and-basil bruschetta. But, while I'm here, I want some kind of culinary transcendance, not confirmation.

Speaking of transcendance, I leave you with a piece of art I bought from some back-street Caravaggio near the Spanish Steps. Simply glorious. God onlyknows how somebody else didn't snap it up before I had the chance. It'll look divine on the bedroom wall back in Oz.

I call it "TomKat".

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger sammy j said...

Wow. The artist has really captured her eyes, and his stupidity.

7:56 pm  
Blogger secret wombat said...

Yeah -- and they say that Rome doesn't have much of an art culture/history. "They"should see this guy!

10:19 pm  
Blogger Bubble's List said...

It's been so long since I visited secret wombat but I'm so glad I returned - it has made me laugh out loud again. No doubt Rome was a delight for you Adam, being a food (and Art) lover!

9:05 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Adam? Who the hell is Zoe talking about, SW?

3:46 am  
Blogger secret wombat said...

I know no Adam. There IS no Adam.

10:30 am  
Anonymous Geotacs said...

cool catch that drawing

cheers!

8:24 pm  
Blogger secret wombat said...

No worries, Geotacs -- I exist to bring talent to the people.

12:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home