Thursday, January 11, 2007

two things that amused me today

Right, SW is back in the office in El Philippines, and that's all we're going to say about that for now, thankyou very much. For those who want to know, he sports a rugged, sun-weathered look and around 5 extra kilos courtesy of many festive-season epicurean indulgences. Nothing the work canteen diet won't get rid of before long.

Anyway. I encountered two unexpected things that made me chuckle today.

1.
I saw B, a friendly, soft-spoken , married-with-child Iranian bloke who works here. We were exchanging happy-new-year pleasantries and I asked if he'd been anywhere.
B: Just Iloilo, for some work.
SW (in jokey jokey tone): Work!? No beach?
B (smiling): No beach and no bitch!
It took a few seconds for me to process that, but I'm almost certain that is what he said.

2.
When attempting to go to this very blog itself, the autoprompt function thingy caused me to accidentally go to SWEDEN.SE - the official gateway to Sweden. There, I happened upon this:

DANCE FEVER SPREADS IN SWEDEN
by Cari Simmons, freelance writer

Need to shake off some of that Christmas food? Do like the Swedes: dance! A dance bug is going around Sweden, making people of all ages break out into salsa, African dance and street dance. What’s going on?
I'm not entirely certain why it tickled my fancy so. It was the raised-eyebrow question at the end that did it, I think. Cari Simmons, freelance writer -- I salute you!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lone Gopher said...

Welcome back SW! You have been missed, personally and Internetally (I'm sure that's the word)

Cha-cha-cha.

/J.

10:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home