Friday, June 30, 2006

Is there a doctor in the house?

Below is an email thread that eventuated after I sent a request to my work medical clinic for a means by which I could try to scam better seats on planes.* It's not the most hilarious email hijink you'll ever read but it is 1) amusing, and 2) representative of dealing with local bureaucracy. I've changed some of the names to protect the innocent etc etc.

*Note that it's all true, you cynical bastards.

------------------------------------------------------------

From: SW
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 3:39 PM
To: Work Medical Clinic
Subject: Letter from doctor

Hello,

Is it possible for me to get a letter from the doctor requesting adequate seating room on flights? I fly regularly, and at 6’5” (196cm) I have great difficulty fitting into regular economy-class seats. After flights of more than a couple of hours, I often experience knee soreness (which results in me limping) for several days.

Many thanks
SW


From: Work Medical Clinic
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:25 PM
To: SW
Subject: RE: Letter from doctor

Dear Sir,

We would suggest you to first coordinate with the airline company to provide you with spacious seats or book for a higher class. think it would be possible to secure a letter from a doctor. However, the response of airline company would probably still recommend you to a first class booking to avail of their spacious seat accommodations.

Thank you
Work Medical Clinic


From: SW
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:30 PM
To: Work Medical Clinic
Subject: RE: Letter from doctor

Thankyou.

However:

1) I can’t afford business or first class seats. Therefore, unfortunately, I am condemned to economy-class unless I’m lucky enough to get an exit-row seat or an upgrade.

2) I always try to organize a seat with more legroom, but often the airlines are unable to accommodate me. A doctor’s letter might improve my chances,

Therefore, is it possible for me to obtain such a letter? I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
SW


From: Work Medical Clinic
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:33 PM
To: SW
Subject: RE: Letter from doctor

Dear Sir,

Have you consulted a doctor regarding your knee soreness after your flight? Perhaps he might be able to secure you the medical certificate that you need.

Thanks,
Work Medical clinic


From: SW
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:34 PM
To: Work Medical Clinic
Subject: RE: Letter from doctor

Hello,

I am consulting the Work Medical clinic for exactly this reason. There is a doctor there, isn’t there?

SW


From: Work Medical Clinic
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:41 PM
To: SW
Subject: RE: Letter from doctor

Dear Sir,

Yes sir. we always have a doctor in the clinic. Please feel free to visit the clinic to secure your needed medical certificate prior to your next scheduled flight. We hope the medical certificate would further increase your chances of getting better seat accommodations.

Thanks
Work Medical Clinic


From: SW
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:45 PM
To: Work Medical Clinic
Subject: RE: Letter from doctor

Maraming salamat! [This is me showing CULTURAL SENSITIVITY by thanking the correspondent in the local language (this is a note to blog readers; I didn't put this in the original email, JUST IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING).]

I’ll visit next week.

Many thanks,
SW

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhpas you should also go for medical certificate for your oversized, orthotically sensitive feet to get a discount on shoes too?

Ash

7:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home