Thursday, February 23, 2006

truckin'

Many things can and do happen when driving through Manila. Two of these are:
  1. Getting stuck in heavy traffic
  2. Interacting with men who are sitting on the back of trucks (usually while encountering 1., see photos).

A few weeks ago, I had another 2. experience. The guys were gesticulating at me and at first I was hesitant to wind my window down (security in big city Manila ra ra ra) but figured there wasn't much danger. I wound down the window and greeted them with my best Tagalog "good morning". They laughed and said hi and then passed a rambutan across to me. I thanked them. I ate it. They laughed again. Strangers from different worlds, brought together by tropical fruit. On a Manila main road. The traffic moved again. The end.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. It's not all Weltschmertz after all...

12:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home